The Salvation Army is opening an extreme emergency cold weather shelter in Springfield tonight.
It will stay open through Thursday morning.
The Harbor House at 636 North Boonville will be open to men and women without children.
People with young children under the age of 18 can go to the Salvation Army near Kansas and Chestnut in Springfield.
Both locations will provide an evening meal and breakfast.
Here’s more from the Salvation Army:
WHAT & WHEN:
* Due to the Extreme Cold weather, we will be opening an Extreme Emergency Cold Weather Shelter starting today, January 29th and will stay open through Thursday morning, January 31st to assist the other shelters in town with overflow.
* We will serve men and women without minor children at AT OUR HARBOR HOUSE, LOCATED AT 636 N. Booneville, Springfield MO.
* Individuals with minor children (under 18yrs old) may find shelter with us at 1707 W. Chestnut Expressway with check in occurring at our Family Enrichment Center entrance. Individuals with children may also come to this location during the daytime hours as well to get in from the cold.
* An evening Meal and Breakfast will be provided at both locations.
* The Harbor House located at 636 N. Booneville will also serve as a Warming Center during the daytime hours through Thursday morning, January 31st. Individuals visiting our Front-Line Feeding Program who have no place to keep warm may stay with us during the day – normally this program is only open 12pm to 1pm, however with the temperatures hitting dangerous levels we are encouraging individuals to not be out in the extreme cold.
* The Salvation Army Emergency Disaster Services Canteen will also be available to help go to the local Homeless Camps in the evening to help get the word out as well as provide for a hot meal and cup of coffee.
* **A picture I.D. will be required to stay overnight, as we will be doing a Sex Offender Background Check.
WHERE: 636 N. Booneville – Harbor House for men and women without children.
1707 W. Chestnut Expressway – The Family Enrichment Center for individuals with children (under 18yrs old).