skip to nav skip to content
Weather Forecast: Earlier snow predictions have been downgraded across Southwest Missouri. However, snow is still expected to fall in the southern part of Missouri with heavier amounts in southeast Missouri Christmas night into Wednesday. In some areas of south-central Missouri, precipitation may begin as rain or sleet and then change over to snow.
Driving will become difficult as the winter storm increases in intensity Tuesday night into Wednesday morning.
Possible snow accumulations in Southwest Missouri:
-- 1 inch in Stone County.
-- 2 to 3 inches in Taney County including the Branson area.
-- A dusting of snow in Webster County.
Snow totals could vary depending on how the storm tracks across the area.
Winds could gust up to 29 mph hour tonight into tomorrow which could create visibility problems with dry, blowing snow.
Travel Conditions: Drivers should be prepared for snow-covered roads and limited visibility during and after the storm.
1. Allow plenty of room to stop your vehicle and DRIVE ACCORDING TO CONDITIONS.
2. If traveling near a snow plow, please stay back at least 100 feet so they can work and to keep salt from hitting your vehicle.
3. If you do need to travel, make sure to leave in plenty of time to reach your destination.
Road Clearing: MoDOT crews located south of I-44 were out by 3 p.m. Tuesday afternoon in preparation for the approaching storm. Full crews will remain on the job throughout the night in Stone, Christian and Taney counties, with smaller crews remaining out throughout Tuesday night into Wednesday in maintenance facilities south of I-44. Crews will work throughout the night checking for slick areas on roadways. They will plow and spread salt and other materials as needed to keep the main roads in good condition.
Crews will focus efforts on the highest traffic volumes routes like I-44, I-49, Route 65, Route 13 and Route 60. They will make it to lesser traveled routes at least once or twice to plow and treat hills, curves and intersections.
Driving Tips for Traveling on Conditions:
* Buckle up
* Slow down
* Avoid sudden stops and turns
* Increase following distance
* Make sure vehicle windows and vehicle lights are cleared to ensure visibility
* Keep plenty of fuel in the tank and carry an emergency kit
* Use headlights
* Keep at least 100 feet behind a truck plowing/salting the road
Road Condition Information:
* MoDOT Customer Service: 1.888.275.6636
* MoDOT Traveler Information Map: http://maps.modot.mo.gov/timi/
* Highway Patrol Road Conditions Hotline: 1.800.222.6400
|Submit photos to: