skip to nav skip to content
Image by KTTS File Photo
It took firefighters from five departments several hours to bring a blaze under control in Barry County that was started by fireworks.
A 14-year-old boy was in the mood to celebrate Independence Day with some sky rockets, but the dry conditions may not have been the best time to do that.
Central Crossiing Fire Chief Rusty Rickard tells KTTS News the fire near Shell Knob leveled a lake home and heavily damaged a mobile home.
The fire started in a ditch and spread quickly through six acres of brush, grass and other scrub to the house.
A few other camping trailers, some other houses and a garage were close to being involved.
He says the fire did jump the road and started a field on fire which had some commercial storage units close by.
Southern Stone County and Eagle Rock provided some manpower and equipment.
The sheriff's department along the the state fire marshal's office is trying to figure out which way to proceed.
There's some talk that the boy's parents could be held responsible for the damage.
No one was hurt, with the exception of a couple firefighters being overcome by the smoke and heat at times.
|Submit photos to: