skip to nav skip to content
Image by Western Taney County Fire Protection District
Fire Crews in Taney County say a house fire serves as a good reminder to be careful with fireworks. A home in Merriam Woods caught fire as a family was setting off fireworks Saturday afternoon. Damage was minimal, but crews say that could have easily not been the case in these kind of dry conditions.
The following was sent to us by the Western Taney County Fire District:
This afternoon, just before 5pm, the Western Taney County Fire District was alerted to a Structure Fire at 1007 Lake Road in Merriam Woods, MO.
When firefighters arrived on scene, flames were visible on the front porch and attic of the single family home. Fire Fighters were able to extinguish the flames quickly and confined the fire to the porch and attic area. Damage was minimal inside the home with the exception of smoke throughout the structure and some light water damage in the area of the home where the fire was extinguished.
An investigation as to the cause of the fire was conducted. The investigation determined that the fire started in front of the porch where some shrubs and vines were located. The homeowner reported that fire works were in use in the area but the cause of the fire was left undetermined because several possible causes could not be ruled out.
Fortunately, the fire was brought under control quickly which limited the damage to the home and also limited heat stress to firefighters by the continued high temperatures.
This is good time to again remind residents and visitors to the area that with the 4th of July Holiday going on, we strongly urge everyone to be safe when using fireworks. With the continued dry weather and lack of rainfall, vegetation throughout our area is tinder dry and only takes a small spark to start a fire. Be sure to keep water close by and we strongly suggest wetting down the area where fireworks are planned to be used. Keep water or a fire extinguisher close and at the first sign of a fire getting out of control, be sure to call 911 so area firefighters can get to the fires when they are small and extinguish them before they get large enough to threaten people and property.
|Submit photos to: