skip to nav skip to content
... great time for fuel saving tips!!!
1. Avoid High Speeds! High speeds burn more fuel... case in point 62 mph versus 75 mph means an increase of fuel by 15%.
2. Do Not Accelerate or Brake Hard. Just by anticipating traffic and slow steady acceleration and braking, you can save as much as 20%.
3. Keep Tires Properly Inflated. And this means the air pressure the car manufacturer reccommends for the vehicle, NOT the PSI on the side of the tire.
4. Use AC Sparingly. AC can increase fuel cost by 20%.
5. Keep Windows Closed. WHEN you are driving highway speeds, otherwise the drag on the vehicle will increase fuel by 10%. If doing 45 and under, open windows are better than cranking the AC.
6. Service Vehicle Regularly. We're talking air filters, spark plugs, fluid levels.
7. Use Cruise Control. Maintaining a constant speed over long distances often saves gas.
8. Avoid Heavy Loads. More weight equals more gas!
9. Avoid Long Idles. If you anticipate being stopped for more than one minute, shut off the car... it uses more fuel to idle than to restart the engine.
10. Purchase A Fuel Efficient Vehicle. DUH! that should be our FIRST priority when buying a new or used car!
At close to $4 per gallon, I know I will be following my own advice! Have a great holiday weekend.